Faith To Go Podcast: Jesus' Interpretation of Scripture
Hosted each week by the Faith Formation team at St. Paul's Cathedral in San Diego, David Tremaine, Maya Little-Sana and Jackie Pippin, the Faith To Go Podcast highlight themes from the Sunday Gospel reading for you to take into your conversations throughout the week.
Activity Time: Jesus Teaching in the Synagogue
Supplies: printer, paper, crayons
This weeks activity is a coloring page that you can find here.
Activity from Sermons4Kids
Story Time: Gospel Reading and Reflection
Watch this video together and then use the discussion questions below to reflect as a family.
1) What does it mean to listen?
2) How would you feel is someone was playing with a toy when you tried to tell them about something sad that happened to you?
3) Why is eye contact important to listening well?
4) How do you feel when someone listens to you?
5) Who is someone that is a good listener to you?
Dinner Time: Listening
Below is a prayer with which to start your meal and then discussion questions to explore this week’s topic with your family while you eat.
You tell us to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, care for the sick, and visit the imprisoned. Bless all who provide comfort to those in need. Keep our own eyes open to the opportunities in which we can minister to others. For in the eyes of others, we shall see you. Amen.
Why did Jesus go to the synagogue?
What does this story remind you of?
How do you try to listen when you’re in church?
In what ways is listening really hard?
What does it feel like to know that we are filled with the Holy Spirit?
Does that give us special powers?
Bedtime: Reflections for Children at the End of the Day
During your bedtime routine, invite your children into a time of reflection about their day, maybe by saying, "Did you know that God really wants to know what happened in your day today, and that God is always listening whenever you need to tell God something?" Then continue with these questions:
1) What are some things that happened today that you want to tell God about?
2) What is one happy thing that happened today? What is one sad thing that happened today?
3) Did you see God or feel God with you when those things were happening? Where did you see or feel God when those things happened today?
4) Read to your children this week’s scripture selection, then ask the questions that follows.
Jesus came back from the desert filled with the power of the Spirit. Everyone was talking about him and they asked him to come teach them in their synagogues.
When he came to the synagogue in Nazareth, his hometown, he stood up to read the scroll of Isaiah that had been given to him. He found the part that read, “God has anointed me with his Holy Spirit and sent me to bring good news to people who need it most. I’ve been sent by God to put people back together whose hearts are broken, to let prisoners know they are free people, to release people from whatever is holding them back. TO let them know that this time is God’s time.”
And he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. The people couldn’t take their eyes off him. Then he said, “Today you have heard this scripture come true.”
Did the story remind you of anything that happened in your day today?
5) What are some things that you want to tell God that you are grateful for today?
Share some of your conversations in the comments below: