Updated: Feb 19, 2019
Faith To Go Podcast: You Are Not The Chosen Ones
Hosted each week by the Faith Formation team at St. Paul's Cathedral in San Diego, David Tremaine, Maya Little-Sana and Jackie Pippin, the Faith To Go Podcast highlight themes from the Sunday Gospel reading for you to take into your conversations throughout the week.
Activity Time: Jesus Rejected
Supplies: printer, paper, crayons
This weeks activity is a coloring page that you can find here.
Activity from Sermons4Kids
Story Time: Gospel Reading and Reflection
Watch this video together and then use the discussion questions below to reflect as a family.
1) I wonder what some emotions are you felt today.
2) I wonder if you have ever lost control of your emotions.
3) I wonder what it felt like.
4) I wonder how you can stop your strong emotions from becoming too intense.
5) I wonder who an adult in your life is that handles their emotions well.
Dinner Time: Listening
Below is a prayer with which to start your meal and then discussion questions to explore this week’s topic with your family while you eat.
You tell us to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, care for the sick, and visit the imprisoned. Bless all who provide comfort to those in need. Keep our own eyes open to the opportunities in which we can minister to others. For in the eyes of others, we shall see you. Amen.
I wonder what the people did after they listened to Jesus.
I wonder how Jesus reacted to being pushed against the cliff.
I wonder what you think you would do if this happened to you.
I wonder why Jesus was able to pass through the group.
I wonder what is special about this situation.
Bedtime: Reflections for Children at the End of the Day
During your bedtime routine, invite your children into a time of reflection about their day, maybe by saying, "Did you know that God really wants to know what happened in your day today, and that God is always listening whenever you need to tell God something?" Then continue with these questions:
1) What are some things that happened today that you want to tell God about?
2) What is one happy thing that happened today? What is one sad thing that happened today?
3) Did you see God or feel God with you when those things were happening? Where did you see or feel God when those things happened today?
4) Read to your children this week’s scripture selection, then ask the questions that follows.
After Jesus read from the prophet Isaiah at the synagogue in his hometown of Nazareth, he told people, “What you just heard has come true today right before your eyes and in your ears.” Everyone was so impressed with him and the beautiful things he said. Then they started saying, “Wait a minute. Isn’t that Joseph and Mary’s boy? Who does he think he is?”
Jesus said, “I know what you want to do here the things you’ve heard I did in Capernaum. But, just like the prophets, I know I won’t be accepted in my hometown. The truth is, there were a lot of things Elijah could have done in his home country, but God sent him to a different place to do God’s work. Just as Elijah went out of Israel do to his best work, God is sending me to the people beyond your borders to do mine.”
That’s when their rage exploded. They didn’t want to hear that Jesus was taking the Good News outside their little group. They chased him out of the synagogue, right out of town, and up the highest hill so they could throw him off the cliff. But Jesus was able to make his way through the crowd unharmed, and kept on walking.
Did the story remind you of anything that happened in your day today?
5) What are some things that you want to tell God that you are grateful for today?
Share some of your conversations in the comments below: