Updated: Mar 25
Hosted each week by the Faith To Go team in the Episcopal Diocese of San Diego, David Tremaine, Maya Little-Sana and Charlette Preslar, the Faith To Go Podcast highlight themes from the Sunday Gospel reading for you to take into your faith discussions and reflections throughout the week.
Activity Time: FREEZE!
Tell children to walk as if they are bent over at the waist and when the teacher calls out... FREEZE.. the children are to stop exactly as they were when FREEZE was called out. Then begin again and let children walk again as if bent out of shape and call out FREEZE again.
Story Time: Healing on the Sabbath
Watch this video together and then use the discussion questions below to reflect as a family.
1) I wonder if you have ever been picked on.
2) I wonder who got picked on in Jesus’ day.
3) I wonder what Jesus did to this woman.
4) I wonder why it made people upset.
5) I wonder what the Sabbath is all about.
Dinner Time: Getting Hurt
Below is a prayer with which to start your meal and then discussion questions to explore this week’s topic with your family while you eat.
God, you were present at the beginning.
Be with me as I begin a new school year.
Comfort me when I am unsure of my new surroundings.
Strengthen me when I stumble,
And help me remember that your light shines in all places.
All this I ask through you, my Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer.
Questions 0-4 years old
1. I wonder if you have ever been hurt.
2. I wonder what it felt like.
3. I wonder what or who helped fix it.
4. I wonder what Jesus wants us to do when we see others in pain.
5. I wonder why Jesus healed on the day of rest.
Bedtime: Reflections for Children at the End of the Day
During your bedtime routine, invite your children into a time of reflection about their day, maybe by saying, "Did you know that God really wants to know what happened in your day today, and that God is always listening whenever you need to tell God something?" Then continue with these questions:
1) What are some things that happened today that you want to tell God about?
2) What is one happy thing that happened today? What is one sad thing that happened today?
3) Did you see God or feel God with you when those things were happening? Where did you see or feel God when those things happened today?
4) Read to your children this week’s scripture selection, then ask the questions that follows.
Now Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath. And just then there appeared a woman with a spirit that had crippled her for eighteen years. She was bent over and was quite unable to stand up straight. When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said, "Woman, you are set free from your ailment." When he laid his hands on her, immediately she stood up straight and began praising God. But the leader of the synagogue, indignant because Jesus had cured on the sabbath, kept saying to the crowd, "There are six days on which work ought to be done; come on those days and be cured, and not on the sabbath day." But the Lord answered him and said, "You hypocrites! Does not each of you on the sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the manger, and lead it away to give it water? And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen long years, be set free from this bondage on the sabbath day?" When he said this, all his opponents were put to shame; and the entire crowd was rejoicing at all the wonderful things that he was doing.
Did the story remind you of anything that happened in your day today?
5) What are some things that you want to tell God that you are grateful for today?
Share some of your conversations in the comments below: