Updated: Mar 25
Hosted each week by the Faith To Go team in the Episcopal Diocese of San Diego, David Tremaine, Maya Little-Sana and Charlette Preslar, the Faith To Go Podcast highlight themes from the Sunday Gospel reading for you to take into your faith discussions and reflections throughout the week.
Activity Time: Our Piece of the Pie
Supplies: Pie recipe to make a pie!
Make a pie with your children. While you’re making the pie, explain that sometimes people get different size pieces of pie, but that doesn’t mean we get to be ungrateful for the size of pie that we received. We are all given things from God and they are to be cherished, and he should be glorified for those gifts.
Story Time: The Rich Fool
Watch this video together and then use the discussion questions below to reflect as a family.
1) I wonder what the man asked Jesus.
2) I wonder how Jesus responded.
3) I wonder why Jesus responded that way.
4) I wonder what is greed.
5) I wonder what the man’s plan is for his farm.
6) I wonder why he was a fool.
Dinner Time: Our Fair Share
Below is a prayer with which to start your meal and then discussion questions to explore this week’s topic with your family while you eat.
The days are getting longer.
Keep your Spirit in my heart and mind
during this growing season.
Be with me as I finish the school year,
participate in summer activities,
enjoy the gift of summer turning into fall.
Help me recognize your works in all that I do
and at play,
so that I can give thanks for all you provide,
even without my even asking.
Questions 0-4 years old
1. I wonder what is happening in this week's bible story.
2. I wonder if you have ever been in a fight over who got more of something with your
siblings or friends.
3. I wonder what happened.
4. I wonder how it made you feel.
5. I wonder why Jesus called the man a fool.
Bedtime: Reflections for Children at the End of the Day
During your bedtime routine, invite your children into a time of reflection about their day, maybe by saying, "Did you know that God really wants to know what happened in your day today, and that God is always listening whenever you need to tell God something?" Then continue with these questions:
1) What are some things that happened today that you want to tell God about?
2) What is one happy thing that happened today? What is one sad thing that happened today?
3) Did you see God or feel God with you when those things were happening? Where did you see or feel God when those things happened today?
4) Read to your children this week’s scripture selection, then ask the questions that follows.
Someone in the crowd said to Jesus, "Teacher, tell my brother to divide the family inheritance with me." But he said to him, "Friend, who set me to be a judge or arbitrator over you?" And he said to them, "Take care! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; for one's life does not consist in the abundance of possessions." Then he told them a parable: "The land of a rich man produced abundantly. And he thought to himself, `What should I do, for I have no place to store my crops?' Then he said, `I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, `Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.' But God said to him, `You fool! This very night your life is being demanded of you. And the things you have prepared, whose will they be?' So it is with those who store up treasures for themselves but are not rich toward God."
Did the story remind you of anything that happened in your day today?
5) What are some things that you want to tell God that you are grateful for today?
Share some of your conversations in the comments below: