Hosted by the Faith To Go team in the Episcopal Diocese of San Diego, David Tremaine and Charlette Preslar, and joined the each week by a special guest, the Faith To Go Podcast highlights themes from the Sunday Gospel reading for you to take into your faith discussions and reflections throughout the week.
Activity Time: Tell me a Story
Supplies: household supplies for telling the story
As a family, make a list of Bible stories that you love. These can be parables, Jesus stories or from the Old Testament. Take turns picking a story from the list to tell to the other members of the family.
Get creative! Gather supplies from around the house to help you tell the story. Maybe a mop can be a beard, or a tall floor lamp can be the mustard tree.
After everyone has a turn, talk about why it is important to tell the stories of our faith.
Story Time: Chosen By God
Watch this video together and then use the discussion questions below to reflect as a family.
1. How would you feel if you had to choose between two things you really liked?
2. How would it feel if I told you that you could have both?
3. I wonder how it feels to hear that God chooses you first?
4. Who else do you think chooses you first?
Dinner Time: Getting Ready for a Party
Below is a prayer with which to start your meal and then discussion questions to explore this week’s topic with your family while you eat. Prayer -
Dear God, Thank you for choosing us. Remind me that being chosen by you, is also a responsibility. Help us as we grow in faith and share Your love with others. Walk with us each day. Amen.
1. In this week’s Bible story we heard about a king that was throwing a party. What do you need to get ready for a party?
2. Do you think it is a lot of work?
3. How would you feel if people didn’t come to your party?
4. What do you think you would do?
Bedtime: Reflections for Children at the End of the Day
During your bedtime routine, invite your children into a time of reflection about their day, maybe by saying, "Did you know that God really wants to know what happened in your day today, and that God is always listening whenever you need to tell God something?" Then continue with these questions:
1) What are some things that happened today that you want to tell God about?
2) What is one happy thing that happened today? What is one sad thing that happened today?
3) Did you see God or feel God with you when those things were happening? Where did you see or feel God when those things happened today?
4) Read to your children this week’s scripture selection, then ask the questions that follows.
Matthew 22:1-14 (God’s Word, My Voice)
Here’s another one of Jesus’ stories:
The kingdom of heaven is like a king who gave a wedding party for his son. He sent his servants to call those who had received invitations to the party, but they wouldn’t come. He tried again to get them to come and enjoy the banquet.” But those who had been invited had other things on their minds and other things to do. And one even beat up the servant who was sent to invite him! The king was outraged. He sent his troops to destroy those murderers. Then he turned to his servants and said, “Our wedding party is ready but we need guests. Go into the streets of the city and invite everyone you see to the banquet.” So they went out, and gathered everyone they could find, good people and bad people both. And the wedding hall was filled with guests. The king arrived at the party and noticed a man there who wasn’t dressed for the party. He asked, “Hi, how did you get in here dressed like that?” He had nothing to say. The king said, “Throw him out.” Many are called, few are chosen.
Did the story remind you of anything that happened in your day today?
5) What are some things that you want to tell God that you are grateful for today?
Share some of your conversations in the comments below: