During your bedtime routine, invite your children into a time of reflection about their day, maybe by saying, "Did you know that God really wants to know what happened in your day today, and that God is always listening whenever you need to tell God something?" Then continue with these questions:
1) What are some things that happened today that you want to tell God about?
2) What is one happy thing that happened today? What is one sad thing that happened today?
3) Did you see God or feel God with you when those things were happening? Where did you see or feel God when those things happened today?
4) Read to your children this week’s scripture selection, then ask the questions that follows.
Matthew 5:21-26, 33-37
Jesus said, “You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ‘You shall not hurt anyone’; and ‘whoever hurts someone shall be in trouble.’ But I say to you that if you are angry with a friend, you will be in trouble; and if you insult a friend, you will be in trouble; and if you say, ‘You fool,’ you will be sad afterwards. So when you are offering your gift at the altar, if you remember that your friend has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your friend, and then come and offer your gift. Come to terms quickly with your friend while you are on the way to school with them, or your friend may tell the teacher, and the teacher the principal, and you will have detention. Truly I tell you, you will never get out until you have said sorry to them.
“Again, you have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but carry out the vows you have made to God.’ But I say to you, Do not swear at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is her footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let your word be ‘Yes, Yes’ or ‘No, No.'
4) I wonder if this story reminds you of anything that happened today.
5) What are some things that you want to tell God that you are grateful for today?