During your bedtime routine, invite your children into a time of reflection about their day, maybe by saying, "Did you know that God really wants to know what happened in your day today, and that God is always listening whenever you need to tell God something?" Then continue with these questions:
1) What are some things that happened today that you want to tell God about?
2) What is one happy thing that happened today? What is one sad thing that happened today?
3) Did you see God or feel God with you when those things were happening? Where did you see or feel God when those things happened today?
4) Read to your children this week’s scripture selection, then ask the questions that follows.
Luke 8:26-39 (God's Word My Voice translation)
Jesus and his disciples met a man who had some demons. He
didn't wear any clothes and he lived in the cemetery. He had
seizures and he was kept bound in chains, but he would break
out and go into the wilds. He recognized Jesus and he fell down
before him and shouted as loud as he could, "Jesus, Son of the
Most High God, don't torment me!" Jesus asked him what his
name was. He said, "Legion" (because there were a lot of demons
in him). Jesus commanded the unclean spirits to leave the man.
The spirits begged Jesus not to send them away.
On the hillside there was a herd of pigs. The demons said,
"Send us into these pigs instead." So that's what Jesus did. They
left the man and entered the pigs. Then the pigs rushed into the
lake and were drowned. The people who owned the pigs went to
tell people what had happened. They found the man clothed and
in his right mind. Everyone was afraid. And they asked Jesus to
leave. So he got into the boat and sailed away. The man Jesus had
healed asked him to stay with him, but Jesus told him to go back
to his home and tell everyone what God had done for him. So
he proclaimed throughout the city what Jesus had done.
4) I wonder who helped you feel loved today.
5) What are some things that you want to tell God that you are grateful for today?